Thank you for your interest in employment at the Skirball. See below for a list of current job opportunities.
- On-Call Banquet Waiter (Tuesday–Sunday)
- Vice President of Communications and Marketing
- Vice President of Public Engagement and Access
Since opening in 1996, the Skirball Cultural Center has been a place of meeting guided by the Jewish tradition of welcoming the stranger and inspired by the American democratic ideals of freedom and equality. The Skirball has defined itself by a deep commitment to pluralism, inclusivity, and cross-cultural exchange. We welcome the public to participate in cultural experiences that celebrate discovery and hope, foster human connections across generations and communities, and build a more just society.
The Skirball has experienced significant growth and transformation during the last two decades, including multiple expansions of its campus and programs, broadening its impact and establishing itself as the largest Jewish cultural institution in the nation with more than 600,000 visitors annually, 400 employees, and a $22 million operating budget. This is a pivotal moment for the Skirball, which has new leaders who are charting a path for the future of the organization.
Culture and Compensation
The Skirball is an incredible place to work with a dedicated and diverse team. Skirball employees have an average tenure of more than seven years at the Skirball. We are committed to a work environment that is rooted in our mission and our core values. If you would like to join a group where all people are valued, this is the place.
The Skirball Cultural Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) dedicated to diversity, inclusion, accessibility, and equity. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, criminal history in accordance with the law, or any other legally protected characteristics. Everyone is encouraged to apply for available employment to ensure our staff reflects the diversity of our visitors and surrounding community. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups to apply.*
A competitive compensation package, including a comprehensive benefits package, will be offered, commensurate with experience.
On-Call Banquet Waiter (Tuesday–Sunday)
The Skirball Cultural Center seeks a warm, friendly, and flexible self-starter with excellent communication skills for the position of On-Call Banquet Waiter. This person is responsible for serving food and beverages to event attendees in a gracious and efficient manner, ensuring a positive dining experience. They will also greet and provide guidance to guests to help them get to their intended event.
This is a variable-hour position that can resemble full-time work during our busy seasons with a pay range of $20–$22.50/hour. The schedule for this position depends on when events are scheduled. This position reports to the Catering Managers.
- Welcomes guests and helps direct them to their tables.
- Explains how various menu items are prepared, describing ingredients and cooking methods.
- Records or memorizes guest entrée choice(s) and transmits information to kitchen team.
- Serves food or beverages to patrons as required, including table-side wine service.
- Checks with attendees to ensure that they are enjoying their meals and acts to correct any issues.
- Removes dishes and glasses from tables or counters and takes them to scullery for cleaning.
- Clears and cleans tables or counters after patrons have finished dining.
- Prepares tables for meals, including setting up items such as linens, silverware, and glassware.
- Garnishes and decorates dishes in preparation for serving.
- Stocks service areas with supplies such as coffee, food, tableware, and linens.
- Fills salt, pepper, sugar, cream, condiment, and napkin containers.
- Monitors the dining room and ensures that cleanliness is maintained.
- May assist with routine food preparation (e.g., portioning desserts, making coffee, etc.).
Qualifications, Experience, and Attributes
- Prior experience working as a waiter
- Must be of legal age to serve alcohol in California
- Must have a current California Food Handler’s Certificate
- Must be well-groomed, with hair cut or secured above the collar, clean clothes, etc.
- Ability to provide personable and professional customer service
- Ability to pay close attention to the needs of attendees, looking for ways to be of service
- Ability to work on a team and interact respectfully with colleagues
- Ability to accomplish routine housekeeping, cleaning, and scullery tasks
- Ability to speak, read, and write in English
- Physical ability to stand/walk most of the working day
- Physical ability to lift and carry heavy trays and other items up to 40 lbs
Please send resume and cover letter, preferably by email, to:
Human Resources Department
Re: On-Call Banquet Waiter
Skirball Cultural Center
2701 N. Sepulveda Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90049
FAX: (310) 440-4595
Vice President of Communications and Marketing
The Skirball Cultural Center seeks a Vice President of Communications and Marketing. This position will report to the Executive Vice President and direct the institution’s communications and marketing activities, initiatives, and strategies. The goal of this position is to enhance the Skirball’s public image and visibility with a focus on increasing attendance and support among diverse audiences and constituencies. As a member of the senior management team, the Vice President of Communications and Marketing will contribute to the consideration, selection, development, and success of the Skirball's education, museum, program, and entrepreneurial initiatives to advance our mission. They will work across departments to build long- and short-term plans and promote an understanding of the Skirball’s philosophy, goals, and activities both internally and externally.
Importantly, the Skirball welcomes visitors from diverse communities and cultural backgrounds, including families with young children, adults, and seniors. The Vice President of Communications and Marketing will be responsible for how we engage both internal and external stakeholders, ensuring that our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is expressed in all communications.
Communications and Marketing Strategy
- Leads the Skirball Cultural Center in communicating the mission to the general public and targeted audiences
- Creates, develops, implements, and manages a proactive and comprehensive communications and marketing program to promote the Skirball and its many activities
- Oversees strategic, comprehensive marketing initiatives and project plans that engage audiences for exhibitions, educational and family programs, and cultural events, as well as clients for entrepreneurial initiatives
Branding and Promotion
- Guides the overall branding and promotion of the Skirball to advance its mission and meet the needs of its many stakeholders
- Oversees the design, writing/editing, art, development, implementation, and production of highly effective promotional marketing tools and strategies, including print and electronic publications
- Ensures brand consistency across all products and ensures appropriateness to the Skirball’s mission and intended audiences
- Guides the nuanced and appropriate use of social media to promote the Skirball’s mission and goals
Media Relations and Community Outreach
- Serves as the public information officer, i.e., the voice, for the Skirball
- Serves as spokesperson in local, regional, and national media through speeches and presentations, publications, and other external activities
- Responds to major news inquiries; organizes press conferences and opening events
- Executes proactive story and speaking opportunities
- Develops and maintains internal and external relationships with key media and community stakeholders that advance and support the Skirball’s initiatives, recognizes and invests in relationships that have maximum potential yield for the institution, and builds trust through active response and ongoing engagement
- Manages a team of seven marketing and communications professionals
- Understands, mediates, and effectively resolves needs and priorities across the Skirball’s many departments; ensures clear priorities, well-defined outcomes, and reasonable resources to achieve targets
- Develops and manages the department’s annual budget; authorizes expenditures; and allocates resources across marketing, public relations, web services, advertising/promotions, and publications
- Oversees the review, selection, and removal/addition of communications consultants, vendors, and/or agencies as necessary; authorizes all consultant contracts and monitors compliance with contract specifications
- Oversees the Skirball Cultural Center’s occasional book publication efforts, develops partnerships with outside book distributors, and ensures Library of Congress cataloguing
- Senior-level management experience in marketing and communications, including print and electronic media; direct experience in a cultural or non-profit institution preferred
- Demonstrated success in creating, developing, and implementing effective media, marketing, and promotional strategies, plans, and campaigns with a strong emphasis on meeting goals and maximizing return on investment
- Proficiency in utilizing digital distribution platforms, including social media and advertising technology; experience in the leadership of distribution strategy
- Excellent written communication skills, strong editing skills, and the ability to write for a wide variety of audiences and mediums; expertise with social media, Internet, and e-commerce tools
- Strong strategic thinking and planning skills; experience guiding organizations through the launch of important initiatives
- Track record of interacting effectively with media contacts; experience preparing others for press events and interviews
- Mission-Driven: Demonstrated commitment to the Skirball’s mission, inspired by Jewish tradition, to welcome the stranger and help build a more just society
- Cultural Competency and Inclusive Leadership Skills: A track record of successfully managing diverse teams; a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice principles
- Creativity: A creative and innovative thinker; a passion for the entrepreneurial in the non-profit arena
- Diplomacy and Interpersonal Skills: Able to understand and meet the needs of a variety of stakeholders while in pursuit of a vision
- Driving Results: Able to develop and manage toward specific, measurable goals
For additional information regarding this opportunity, please contact:
Tracy L. Lawrence
Founder & CEO, The Lawrence Advisory
Manager, Client Services
Vice President of Public Engagement and Access
The Skirball Cultural Center seeks a Vice President of Public Engagement and Access. This position will report to the Executive Vice President and partner with department leaders from across the institution to further position the Skirball as a warm, welcoming, and special place and a preeminent thought leader, convener, and social justice–centered arts and culture organization. Importantly, the Skirball welcomes visitors from diverse communities and cultural backgrounds, including families with young children, adults, and seniors. The Vice President of Public Engagement and Access will lead the institutional welcome for all campus visitors—those who come for private events and conferences, on-campus dining, and a broad array of cultural and educational experiences. The Vice President of Public Engagement and Access will play a key role in defining and creating the Skirball experience while increasing loyalty, retention, and revenue.
Admission and Membership
- Ensure a seamless and welcoming experience for visitors, from the first contact with admissions through experiencing the Skirball Cultural Center’s museum, public and private events, online offerings, and retail spaces.
- Monitor and establish admissions goals and pricing structure.
- Monitor visitor demographics, purchase patterns, and feedback with an eye toward developing a highly engaging experience for the broadest possible audience.
- Measure and track delivery ROI on identified transformation opportunities for visitors.
- Drive continuous process improvement culture across customer experience.
Retail and Merchandising
- Oversee Audrey’s Museum Store team and operations to maximize revenue.
- Oversee the development and implementation of retail merchandising plans that support programmatic priorities of the Skirball Cultural Center.
- Recruit, manage and develop a retail staff who is highly motivated and represents the Skirball values in all interactions with the public.
- Manage, develop, and inspire the Visitor Experience team, including six full-time staff, a small cohort of on-call staff, and >200 docents and volunteers.
- Ensure close collaboration across all departments to ensure consistent expression of the Skirball’s strategic priorities and mission.
- Promote an open, inclusive, collaborative, and accountable culture that embraces a passion for the mission and an urgency to succeed in a rapidly changing environment.
Accessibility and Engagement
- Ensure that physical spaces reflect the spirit of welcoming the stranger, with an emphasis on customer service.
- Develop and manage interactive displays and mobile applications that enhance the in-person experience.
- Collaborate with communications department to expand the Skirball’s digital presence and accessibility to a diverse audience.
- Train and align frontline team members to provide a satisfying and engaging experience for the public.
- Develop a seamless experience for the public that furthers the organization’s goal of inspiring visitors to leave the Skirball activated and inspired to build a more just society.
- Ten-plus years of experience developing and leading successful visitor or customer experience strategies and programs in cultural, retail, or hospitality organizations.
- Demonstrated experience in engaging patrons online and through social media.
- Proven ability to create and deliver strategies that engage and make a meaningful impact for visitors across diverse communities and demographic segments.
- Track record of goal setting, measuring success, and holding professionals accountable.
- Ability to extract and analyze data to make effective, efficient decisions.
- Mission-Driven: Demonstrated commitment to the Skirball’s mission, inspired by Jewish tradition, to welcome the stranger and help build a more just society.
- Cultural Competency and Inclusive Leadership Skills: A track record of successfully managing diverse teams; a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice principles.
- Creativity: A creative and innovative thinker.
- Diplomacy and Interpersonal Skills: Able to understand and meet the needs of a variety of stakeholders while in pursuit of a vision.
- Driving Results: Able to develop and manage toward specific, measurable goals.
For additional information regarding this opportunity, please contact:
Tracy L. Lawrence
Founder & CEO, The Lawrence Advisory
Manager, Client Services